Pages

Second Home in Uganda

Tuesday 18 August 2015

I may have been to Uganda four times now but each has been significantly differently and significantly special. My first year was full of excitement and emotion, it was my first time experiencing African culture and being exposed to such saddening poverty.The second year unfortunately I caught malaria and last year I began to grow in confidence. The work we were doing and projects developing focusing on women and young girls truly captured my heart.

This year the team was slightly different, compiled with families and youth workers. The atmosphere was calmer, relaxing and I never once stopped smiling. Since my first visit Uganda has felt a part of me but this year it felt as though I had come home. I felt more myself than I do in England. Children ran for miles to us, the muzungas, just to touch and see these crazy people wave.They grin, they chuckle and from an instance there is a bond. The strongest sort of bond ever created, love.

I may write in more detail about my trip another time but for now I thought I would just share a few snippets. A few pieces of writing, which I have written over the years at the end of working days in Uganda. The trip was far too short, I could have continued visiting schools forever. Continued sharing the importance of education and talking about menstruation with young girls. I would willing continue singing, dancing and playing sports with the children, as they watch their families and communities test for HIV/AIDS. Uganda has been an amazing part of my year and the people I met and friends I made will always have a part of my heart. I simply wish it could have been my whole year.

 Something so plan
Something used for a purpose
A carrying container
'Run, run, run' we say as we hop between each foot,
'Faster, faster...go now'
Produces joy from ear to ear
A moment shared is all it seems to take
A wave, a hello, or even just a water bottle
produce a smile on the surface
But who stops to listen.
Stops to hear
Stops to solve the cause of disease and poverty?
A wave can bring happiness
A wave can bring an inner warmth inside,
A condescending ear with out direction still means nothing..

 I can't think straight
My mind is overcome with thoughts
Their beautiful smiles,

Their heavenly heartfelt laughter

Why can't it always be like his for them
Why must they struggle to get water,
Why must they wear ripped and dirty clothes,
Why must they starve.

Today I danced and sang

Today I laughed and ran around
Today I wept at the happiness love can bring
and cried at their poverty.



 So proud, so welcoming
Straw for the roof
The rain can get in.
Mud on the floor
with one bed to rest in.

A food store in the corner

even though the grain won't far
You  know if you were hungry
what's theirs would became your buffet cart.

They would share

without a second thought
For they care
'what's mine is yours and what's yours is mine'

I just wish I could help them

provide for them all
Give them clothes, shelter and foods galore.
For each person, for each day, throughout their life,
So they could live in prosperity.


Who am I to say, let's change your life style?

Who am I to say let's urbanise your world?
Why should they listen to me?

I don't hold these answers,
but what I can do right now, 
in this moment,
is to talk and listen and hold them close.

Create a smile that lasts forever
embedded in their memories
And never let go!
            For  we are all equal,
Blind, deaf or colour of skin.
We are the same,
We can laugh together, cry together, care for one another.
And I will always remember these days.



Jessica (above) and so many others are now my friends. I hope they never forget the day when I was one of the muzungas that didn't just drive by but stayed to play.

As always I will be thinking of those who have touched my heart and praying for their health and happiness.

All my love always,
Stay Beautiful
     Zsofia xxxx

Girls having received panties and pads


No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs