Pages

Apple and Pear Porridge Crumble

Friday 9 January 2015


I love porridge; I especially love porridge in the winter months, all creamy, fruity and warming in the morning. All through December I have been eating porridge with a variety of nut milks and fruits and spices. I have been having oat porridge, buckwheat porridge, chia overnight oats and even baked porridge. I have porridge on the brain and secretly between you and me I wish I could have it for every meal. With that in mind I have created a baked apple and pear porridge but at the same time it's a crumble. I can eat it for my breakfast with hot coconut milk and then afterwards in the evening I can have some more for pudding with vegan vanilla ice cream or coconut cream. Mmmmm super duper scrummy! Waking up in the morning and having porridge makes me happy, creating new flavours for my porridge makes me happy and this blog is all about happiness and  ways of showing ours and sharing it. So I hope you  like my recipe and it makes you happy too. 


Ingredients

Stewed Apple and pears filling:
4 red apples chopped and peeled
1 cup of  fresh blueberries (frozen will work just as well) 
2 Pears
an inch of fresh ginger
1tbsp maple syrup
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1/2 cup of coconut milk

For the topping:
2 cups of rolled oats
1/2 thinly sliced almonds
2tbsp desiccated coconut
2tsp cinnamon
1tsp ginger
3 tbsp maple syrup
2tbsp of coconut oil (heaped)
a pinch of salt
1/4 cup of chopped walnuts


  1. Preheat the oven to 190c and lightly grease a baking dish about 11 by 9 inches.
  2. To make the stewed fruit filling put the chopped apples and pears with blueberries, cinnamon and maple syrup in a pan. Pour the coconut milk around it so it covers the bottom of the pan and gently simmer on a low heat. As it cooks make sure that there is liquid at the bottom of the pan, if it starts to stick add some more coconut milk or water. 
  3. Peel and grate the ginger onto a plate and then add to the pan and cook for about 20 mins, until all the coconut milk has evaporated and the fruit is soft.
  4. Leave to cool to one side whilst you make the topping.
  5. In a large bowl mix together the oats, desiccated coconut, cinnamon, ginger, salt and almond flakes.
  6. In a  pan heat the maple syrup, coconut oil  together until all incorporated together smoothly. Take off the heat and stir in 1tbsp of the stewed fruit, feel free to be generous with fruit, fruitier the better I always think! Pour this over the the oat mixture and combine well, Sometime at this point I add some more chopped apples and pears just as I can't get enough of them!
  7. Spoon the stewed fruit into the dish and spread evenly. Now spoon the crumbly mixture over the top and pat down.
  8. Sprinkle the walnuts over the top and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the oats are all golden and bubbly around the corners.
  9. Let the dish cool for 5- 10 minutes and serve either with warm almond milk and some maple syrup or with ice cream, depending on what your heart desires.
  10. Keep the dish wrapped up in the fridge and it will keep for up to 5 days.



As you can see I can't help myself when it comes to pomegranates, don't they look like little red jewels? They look beautiful but also taste delicious. I hope you all have a lovely day and please remember to keep smiling.

Stay Beautiful,

      Zsofia xxxx

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs